You are here


Here are just a few comments from the thousands of people who have taken our courses...

In a word, an eye-opener. We can now see that our chances of extricating ourselves from an upside-down, submerged C172 would be slim before your training. We were especially pleased that you directed part of our discussion session to us as C172 pilot and passenger. So many excellent points emphasized: ditch near a boat if possible, for a high wing, full flaps, not so for a low wing, wear the PFD, get a hat on. Your and Patti's 'bed-side manner' added so much to putting us at ease. 

L.D. - August 2021


I learned a lot today.

Simple things become difficult in the water and how important it is to know our equipment.
It was a very productive day.
I.N. - October 2020
Hello Bryan,
It is on me to thank YOU and YOUR TEAM for an absolutely great learning experience!
Beyond conveying information that is very valuable for safe flying, you used your experience, talents, and skills to make the learning process efficient, fun, and effective; which means what we learned has a good chance to stick in our conscious and sub-conscious memory.  
By passing on to us psychological techniques to gather - and retain - critical information, you outfitted us with tools to study our specific aircraft environments with attention to the right details, so that panic can likely be avoided, and survival-critical reflexes can kick in when emergency is reality.
The diverse pool exercises were well structured to building up awareness and skills for a number of situations. I can see now that without having gone through these exercises my chances of successfully overcoming a number of associated challenges would be near zero.
Greetings to You and Your Team,
with Thanks and Gratitude
P.K .  December 2019

Bryan: I wanted to thank you for the excellent training I rec’d in Thunder Bay in 2017. On June 15th of this year I was landing my 182 on floats when my left pontoon hit a boat wake. That put the right wing tip in the water. We cartwheeled three times and ended up inverted. It was surreal as the water was rising up around my head I instinctively grabbed the door handle and my belt buckle and repeatedly told my self to be calm. Just as we practiced I opened the door, undid my belt and swam out. My passenger despite my briefing he panicked, had inflated his pfd undid his seatbelt, and was trapped inside with the headset cord wrapped around his neck. I went back in and pulled him out. We never suffered any injuries. The BAS shoulder harness kept us in our seats, more importantly your training in the pool saved my life and enabled me to save my passenger’s life as well. Thank you Bryan. You and your wife are doing a great job of preparing us for an event we all think or hope will never happen to us. Thank you, keep up the good work.    Sault Ste. Marie Ontario

...June 2018

Hello Bryan,

You and I have worked together many times to arrange CCG Aviation Egress training in the Western Region.  

This week my nephew was in a seaplane accident with my ex-husband (pilot) who took your Egress course a few years ago.  He believes the training he took from you saved their lives.  So, thanks from the bottom of my heart for you and what you do so well…I am deeply grateful.  

Best regards,

July 2015

The course was excellent. I will see you again in a couple years for sure to refresh and I will likely be sending people as well.  Anyone who will be flying my 206 will be going on the course. 
One note. As soon as I jumped into my 206 after the course I did my safety check and added a quick review of the door handles. Shockingly I know the copilot and after doors have the turn handle. I thought the same was of the pilot side. Not true! The pilot door is the old fold-Down handle that when inverted will be hard to unlatch. 
It is quite amazing how the mind works. I look at the copilot and passengers handles all the time so when I secure my door I'm not really thinking about what I am doing with it. I was so sure that all the doors were the same since I'm always looking at the others and when I'm securing the pilot door I'm usually leaving a dock in a rush so I don't think twice - I just lock the door. 
Anyways, having all these doors and all these different handles on a 206 is not good. I would have never appreciated the danger without your course. 
You have added a significant new layer to my threat and error manga event when operating the 206 amphibian. 
Thank you again and I have attached a couple pics of the doors and handles. In order: copilot door, rear door, pilot door.
June 2015

Hi Bryan,
I am very happy that I was able to attend the corse, and also very happy that you came to Sudbury.
Thank you for the great information and knowledge you passed on, I feel that the course is excellent! Now that I have the training it's hard to believe that I flew this long with out it. 
June 2015

Aviation Egress – The Life Saver
My day began at 5:30 am, checking weather, preparing gear and ensuring I had all the appropriate gear, including survival gear, for what was anticipated to be a great day of fishing with a couple of friends at a remote lake.
I had just recently entered into a partnership on a 1955 float equipped Cessna 180. The dream machine for fishing adventures in the remote back country.
My aircraft partner had completed his float rating on the airplane and we had big plans for some great fishing adventures.
We departed Bird River near Lac du Bonnet (CYAX) on May 23rd at approximately 8:00 am enroute to Bushy Lake which is roughly 70 nm north of our departure point. We were all geared up with the proper survival gear and fishing gear.
The flight into Bushy Lake was calm and uneventful, with beautiful clear skies and still air. We touched down on Bushy Lake at approx. 8:50 am and were out on the water in the boat before 9:30. The fishing was fantastic, we had a great shore lunch and everyone truly enjoyed the day.
We could hear thunder off to the North/Norhteast and see some clouds building, so I made the decision to pack up and leave before a storm moved in. We loaded the airplane, taxied out onto the lake and all seemed to be going well, the winds were light from the North/Northeast, so we taxied a fair distance to the South end of the lake.
With all pre-takeoff checks complete, the nose was turned into the wind, rudders up and full power applied. In those few moments, the wind picked up with a force and fury I’ve never experienced on the water. We were already part way into the takeoff roll and I was certain we would be airborn without incident.
An extreme gust came up during the takeoff roll that lifted the left wing, causing the right wing to make contact with the water and in turn causing the aircraft to cartwheel and go inverted.
The next few moments were almost surreal as we had not gained a whole lot of forward momentum as of yet and were ever so slowly rolling over to the right.
I was able to release my belt before we were completely inverted and find the door handle and open the door. Once the door was open, the aircraft filled up in what seemed like seconds. My front passenger was able to release his belt and was right behind me, the passenger in the rear had a little difficulty freeing himself as his inflatable PFD he was wearing, got caught on something and he had to slide out of the device, which somehow broke free as he exited the aircraft.
So there we were, sitting on the floats in the middle of the lake with the winds howling and gusting up to what I would say was approximately 60 – 70 km/h. All we had were the inflatable PFD’s we werewearing, a 100’ rope, 2 paddles and 2 Bic lighters, facing a swim of approximately 700 m to shore in water that was roughly 50 – 55 degrees F. The briefings in the Aviation Egress course touched on the fact that what you have in your pockets is pretty much all you will have for survival. No truer words spoken!!
Everyone maintained their cool, we all discussed a game plan and agreed to wait until the clouds passed and the sun could at least warm us before attempting the swim.
We formed a chain as I had learned in the egress training and made our way to shore. The swim took roughly about half an hour, and by the time we landed, we were all exhausted and mildly hypothermic. The sun was now out, the wind had died off and the air temperature began to warm us. We were able to use the 100’ rope as a clothes line to dry everything out. The Bic lighters were laid on the warm rock to dry out and we had a fire going within half an hour or so.
There was an endless supply of fire wood, so we spent the next few hours (till dark) collecting firewood to last the night, as we didn’t want anyone wandering around looking for wood in the dark causing potential injuries.
We were fortunate in that the ambient temperature that evening stayed above 12 degrees Celcius with no precipitation.
A flight note was left with a friend who was familiar with the lake we had flown into as well as the route we had taken. He had all the information required on the aircraft and occupants and began making calls when we didn’t make contact on our time stated on the flight itinerary.
The friend who the itinerary was left with, was in my opinion, THE best guy to leave such a responsibility to. He was a Manitoba Conservation officer who had numerous dealings with Search and Rescue operations and was able to make all the right calls to the right people.
JRCC was notified and the Hercules C-130 and crew were deployed from Winnipeg at approximately 3:30 am. We were located by the SAR crew of the Herc at approximately 4:30 am. A floatplane from a local carrier with a base in Bissett Manitoba, was deployed and picked us up at 6:15 am.
Aside from being a little tired, cold and hungry, everyone was OK and escaped without injury.
... May 2015 

Jane and Jeff Landriault
Jeff and I would like to thank you so much for a great day yesterday. As Someone who is new to the aviation scene I am very appreciative for all of the safety information as well as the training in the pool. Your calm and caring demeanor with personalized attention make all the difference. I hope and pray that I will never have to use any of my newly acquired knowledge and skills, but if I do I feel much more prepared to do so. I am also grateful for allowing me to join as a last minute entry into the class. We met a lot of great people. You should feel very proud of what you do in trying to pass on your knowledge and expertise to others. I wish you all the best in your future endeavours and hope our paths may cross again some day. Kindest Regards, Jane Landriault
...November 2012

Kenmore Air Seaplanes
Just wanted to extend my heartfelt thanks to you and your fine staff, for the awesome training we received last April 16th. You have a very engaging personality, highly suitable to your task. I learned a tremendous amount of useful information on this subject. I missed the first time we utilzed your services some years ago, and now I really wish I wouldn't have. What I have come away with, is a really genuine feeling that at least now, I might have a fighting chance to escape should the worst occur. It is really very comforting to know that I am equipped with that knowledge, thanks to you and your staff. You can be sure, that I will recommend to all my colleauges, that they might also partake of your services at their earliest convenience.
...April 2011, Chris Blair - Kenmore Air Line Pilot

Brian Webster,

In October 2010 I was in a Cessna 180 floatplane that flipped violently over on its back on water. I was training a low time pilot for a float endorsement and we had done about six hours. We had talked about who has control with “you have control, I have control” and we had also talked about getting out of the floatplane if it went over on its back in the water.

The training was going fairly well and I wanted him to roll one float out then come off the water. At lift off speed and still on the water he was “in control” but I was “helping” him, lifting up the right wing. The plane suddenly yawed to the right and even quicker it then yawed to the left very violently and dug the left float. In an instant we where upside down with the front windshield blown in and the cabin full of very cold water. 

In the spring of 2008 I had occasion to take the emergency egress-training course offered by my employer. It is a course put on by Bryan Webster of Aviation Egress Training Systems out of Victoria, BC. I had about 14,000 hrs total and of that about 5000 on floats at the time.

Things happened VERY fast. I breathed in a mouth full of water but fortunately did not take it into my lungs. I could only see about six inches at this time. I tried my door several times with no response wondering if I was going the right way with the handle. I considered the side window and then the front windshield trying to decide how I was going to get out. I undid my seat belt and was about to try a window when I felt a tug on my arm and was pulled/led out the left door opening to the surface. Enough time had elapsed that the guy with me had made it to the surface, waited for me to follow, then returned to give me a tug on the arm and help get me out. I was not running out of air yet but have no idea how much time had elapsed. I was down to seconds remaining I’m sure. The course taught that there is time available to do the right thing but you need knowledge, training, and a plan to go with it to increase your chances.

During my flying career I have wondered at times if I would have the right stuff if the sh.. hit the fan and if I would respond well, as I think most pilots have. This was my first sh.. Following is what I learned and experienced. 

I feel the course taught by Brian saved my life. I had talked to my student quite a bit about it and he got out quickly using much of what I told him. 

The points that Brian went over and over during the course paid off.

I did remember to keep my belt on until I was ready to do something, staying orientated in my seat. But, during the time I was under water I never thought about the other door or the other guy?

After we got out and were sitting on the float bottoms the guy with me wanted to swim to shore about three hundred yards away and walk to a near by camp. We were wet with moderate to heavy weight clothing on with  +5 C air temp and the water cold with trace of ice in the bays. I was able to convince him to stay with the plane as we knew a boat would be coming by us in less than three hours. They were an  hour and half getting to us

We determined that the plane was not going to sink by counting rivets above the water line, which was good, as we could not find any life jackets. 

The plane had a good shoulder harness system that was a pain to get around as you made your way into and out of the cabin especially when on floats and docking. BUT they were a big part in our survival as I know we would have planted our faces into the panel without them . As it turned out I had a large bump on the side of my head and the guy beside me had severe rib brusing, likely some cracked.

The life jackets. 

They were the small yellow ones packed in a clear plastic bag that you put on and then blow up. In this case they were in a vacuum packed bag to make them smaller and not as easily damaged while riding around in the seat pockets day in and day out. They were never found and I believe flew out of the cabin on impact and went to the bottom. Maybe a mustang type, something you have on all the time.

The survival box in the back was a plastic box held in place with a bungee strap. It was broken open and contents scattered and lost. A duffel type bag tied with a simple slip knot near the baggage door might be better next time.

What I learned for sure:

Safety gear, equipment, and training must be thought through and usable to be of value when you need it. It is just extra weight taking up space if you can’t use it when you need it. You will get little or no warning that you are going to need it.

Plan that you will need it and spend the time and money to make it work for you.

Several things went bad and several things went well. 

I don’t think a “it will never happen to me attitude” was part of it. I had things figured out pretty good but stuff happens. 

In the end I believe that for a few seconds neither of us were on the rudders thus the yaw: ”whose flying, whose got control” It came close to killing us.

Learn from the mistakes of others!

Keith M
... October 2010

Harbour Air Seaplanes
Harbour Air Seaplanes is the largest all seaplane airline in Canada. They strongly endorse our course; all their pilots have either taken the course or will be taking it shortly.
...February 2008

Canadian Coast Guard 
The Canadian Coast Guard is committed to providing egress training to any staff that regularly fly in Coast Guard helicopters through the course of their work.
...January 2008

Brenda Matas
Brenda Matas is a pilot who had been in an accident in a float plane, and suffered from extreme anxiety every time she subsequenty flew. She tried everything, including retraining sessions with a qualified instructor. Only when she directly confronted her fears, in the safety of a dunking course, did she exorcise her fears.  You can read her letter of thanks here.
...November 2005

Alan & Brenda Millet
Alan and Brenda are a couple from Sequim Washington. They heard about the Underwater Egress Training course at a flyin in Penticton in the fall of 2001.  Brenda bought them both certificates to the source for Christmas. You can read about their experiences here.
...January 2002

Barry Schiff
Barry Schiff, the well-known AOPA author, retired in 1998 from Trans World Airlines after a spectacular 34-year flying career. Barry recently took the AES training course and highly endorses the program. His article was published in the December 2001 issue of AOPA Pilot; we've reprinted it in our Articles Section.
...December 2001

Bryce Gibney
Bryce Gibney hails from Boundary Bay airport. An avid boater, scuba diver, and swimmer, Bryce would periodically wonder how he'd fare if he had to ditch his aircraft flying over Georgia Strait. One day, he decided to find out. His story was printed in the July 2001 issue of COPA, and is reprinted in our Articles Section.
...July 2001


Aviation Egress Systems

Victoria, BC, Canada
Phone: (250) 704-6401
Booking Hotline: (250) 704-6403

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer